WineAccess Travel Log
Read stories from the world's greatest wine trails.
Winemaking tradition here dates back over three centuries to 1689 when Pierre de Mazure de Rauzan purchased several vineyards in Pauillac to the east of the Latour estate. His daughter Therese received the vines as a dowry for her marriage to Fracois de Pichon Longueville, and so it was that the estate earned the first half of its name. The second half would come later, when owner Joseph de Pichon Longueville divided his property and left three-fifths to his daughter, the Countess of Lalande. The property would remain in the family until 1925 when it was sold to the Miailhes family. There it stayed, and thrived, for over seventy-five years until it was sold, this time to the Louis Roederer, in 2007.
Over the years, the size of the property has fluctuated depending on the political and economic climates, war and natural disaster. Today the vineyards cover 78 hectares and are planted to 61% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot. The trademark gravelly soil provides excellent drainage allowing the vines to drink deep, absorbing minerals from the limestone bedrock below.
double check part about limestone bedrock!